Tuesday, June 11, 2024

June 11: Objectivity?

 Objectivity and Value-Based Science

How do biases affect our science?

In the video linked above, we can see a Pitbull licking a bunny as the bunny spins around. The bunny didn't seem too concerned about this treatment as it stayed still instead of running away. The Pitbull also seemed very calm and almost nurturing to the bunny, as if it were cleaning one of its own puppies.
This is how I interpreted the video because of the animals' body language and the bunny's compliance to being licked. Given these behaviors, it only makes sense to me that the bunny did not feel in any immediate danger.
My interpretation is influenced by the value that I hold which leads me to believe that domestic animals can be civil with one another. If I were to be more objective, I would take into account the fact that animals have instinctual behaviors and could possibly have ulterior motives. 
After recognizing my possible bias and rewatching the video, I realized that the Pitbull could be sparing the bunny because the owner is present. Some dogs that are well trained will control some of their instincts when their trainer is around, so it is possible that the Pitbull was only playing with the bunny in an attempt to behave; however, this also depends on the idea that this is the relationship that the Pitbull has with its owner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coal versus Nuclear: Why You Shouldn’t Be Scared of Nuclear Power

Is nuclear energy safe? When considering clean sources of energy in comparison to coal, most people gravitate towards solar, wind, and hydro...